GENERAL REGISTER OF PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SOUTHOLD Dated 1845
REGISTER OF THE FIRST CHURCH OF SOUTHOLD, LONG ISLAND 10 September 1851 to 31 December
COPIED AND ARRANGED BY DEWITT VAN BUREN Corresponding Member of the New York Genealogical
and Biographical Society
- 11 Apr. K. F. (or R.?) TERRY to ABBEY HALLOCK.
- 22 Sept. JAMES CLARK to NANCY B. HORTON.
- 20 Oct. SYLVESTER HAWKINS to ISABELLA GOLDSMITH. Wits.: Thomas Goldsmith and wife, Lewis
- 2 Nov. DANIEL G. MOORE to MALVINER P. GLOVER. Wits.: Charles Glover, William Corey.
- 2 Aug. ORIN REEVES to Miss BETSEY TUTHILL, both of Southold.
- 18 Oct. JONATHAN W. HUNTTING to Miss MALVINA BROWN.
- 10 Jan. WILLIAM HORTON to MISS LURA HORTON.
- 26 Feb. WILLIAM WELLS to Miss ENTER ALBERTSON.
- 13 Feb. EDWARD HUNTTING to Miss HELENE. CASE, daughter of Gordon Case.
GENERAL REGISTER 1845
Marriages by Rev. George F. Wiswell, Pastor
- 1 July CHARLES WRIGHT to ANN WEBS CASE.
- 21 Sept. HORACE PRINCE, of Charleston, S. C., to ANN TERRY.
- 31 Dec. FULLARD C. PAINE to MARY SAYRE.
- 7 July FRANKLIN TUTHILL, M.D., to EMMA H. HORTON.
- 15 Aug GEORGE W. HOBART to AMANDA C. TERRY.
- 27 Dec. JESSE R. SMITH, of Sagg Harbor, to LEURA R. CASE, of Southold.
- 29 Dec. JOHN APPLEBY to DEBORAH A. JENNINGS.
- 28 Feb. DAVID BILLARD to Mrs. SARAH HORTON.
- 5 Apr. WELLS PHILIPS to CLARINDA YOUNGS.
- 5 June CHARLES D. PRESTON, M.D., of Willimantic, Conn., to HANNAH GOLDSMITH He died Aug.
- 13 May LEWIS D. HOMAN to NANCY A. KING.
- 4 Sept. ABIJAH F. MOGER to MARY H. HOWELL. Wits.: Mr. and Mrs. John Howell.
- ALFRED WIGGINS to MRS. HELEN BOISSEAU, daughter of Samuel Hutchinson. Wits.: Daniel
Terry and Samuel Hutchinson.
- 24 Dec DANIEL TERRY to HANNAH M. HUTCHINSON. Wits.: Stephen Jennings and J. Wells
- 27 Dec. EZEKIEL WIGGINS to CATHERINE M. CLEVELAND.
Editor: Though there is only one person with the last name of Youngs listed on this
register, many with last names of Terry, Horton, Tuthill, Wells, Cleveland, Wiggins, etc.,
are also, somewhere in their ancestry, Youngs. The North Fork of Long Island, in its early
English history, had much intermarriage amongst the early settlers. (continued)
"The Youngs Family of Oyster Bay Cove"
by William H. Peck
Excerpted from the Preliminary Draft of March 8, 1990
"What follows relates the history of the arrival in Oyster Bay Cove of Thomas
Youngs some time after 1650, and of the generations of his descendants who lived there for
well over 250 Years. The land records to be presented involve lands owned by the Youngs
family in the area of the Cove and Cove Swamp, and on Cove Neck.
Their holdings fronting on the Cove began at the Cove Landing, which separated them
from the properties on the west side of the Cove eventually becoming the Weeks farm. From
the landing their lands ran east and north to the large Cooper tract covering the north
end of the Neck.
They owned along Cold Spring Harbor to Laurel Hollow Road, also some pieces east of
Laurel Hollow. From Laurel Hollow Road their line worked back to Cove Road along Sunset
Road, with one of the Fleet Farms as a neighbor south of that road.
On the north and west sides of Cove Road it was Youngs land from the top of Cove Hill
east and south to the other fleet farm, the two families meeting at the old school
property, which was on the Fleet side. Even this Fleet property, with its mill, belonged
to the Youngs family in the earliest years.
It should be noted that in the 1600s the road to Huntington did not follow today's Cove
Road down the west side of the swamp. Rather, it followed the shore towards Cove Neck,
crossed Cove Creek, then headed south down the east side of the swamp. After the route
changed to the west side, this original eastern road was referred to as the old
To help in identification of those whose names will appear in the records described
below an outline of the early Youngs family follows:
John - Richard - Samuel - Benjamin
descendants remained in Oyster Bay
Part 1 - Arrival in Oyster Bay Cove
For over 250 years many generations of the Youngs Family lived at Oyster Bay Cove. The
first to come was Thomas Youngs, who arrived in the mid-1600s. The actual date is not
certain, but some say it was 1654. His original dwelling may be part of the house at the
head of the Cove, now the residence of P. James Roosevelt. The material which follows
relies to some extent upon a genealogy written in the 19th centure by one of the Oyster
Bay descendants, Daniel Kelsey Youngs, entitled Rev. Christopher Yonges and Pastor
John Youngs - Thomas Youngs of Oyster Bay and his Descendants.' (continued)